The Cumberland Historical Society was founded on March 25, 1939. Its meetings and possessions were initially held in the Prince Memorial Library in Cumberland. The Society acquired the 1853 schoolhouse at 4A Blanchard Road from the Town of Cumberland, and has occupied the building as its meeting place and museum since 1989.
We are located at 4A Blanchard Road, in the center of Cumberland, about 13 miles north of Portland, just off of Route 9, which is Main Street for the town.
Selected Cumberland Historical Society images:
- Junior High study hall, Greely Institute, 1935
- Greely Institute circa 1890
- Science lab in Greely Institute, 1935
- Main Street to Tuttle Road, Cumberland, ca. 1932
- King's Highway mile marker B 135, Cumberland, 1975
- Prince Memorial Library and Dilloway Home, Cumberland Center, ca. 1930
- Last of "Twelve Apostles" navigational aide, Cumberland, ca. 1930
- Civil War Canteen
- Civil War bullet case, ca. 1862
- True's Blacksmith Shop, Cumberland, ca. 1880
- Cumberland Civil War bounties, 1864
- Town of Cumberland warrant, 1864